Q: What is the first step I should take before beginning my flight training? 

A: We strongly recommend that you get your aviation medical certificate prior to beginning flight training in case there are medical reasons that might preclude you from flying. Civil aviation medical examiners in the London area are as follows: 

  • Dr. Malizia
    • Office: (519) 455-1990
    • Address: 1033 Dundas Street
  • Dr. Chapeskie
    • Office: (519) 461-0776
    • Address: Box 130, 21816 Fairview Road (Thorndale)
  • Dr. Bates
    • Office: (519) 438-5101
    • Address: #208 -190 Wortley Road
  • Dr. Siu
    • Office: (519) 858-4694
    • Address: 827 Richmond Street
  • Dr. Marshall
    • Office: (519) 245-3590 
    • Address: 31 Caradoc Street North

Q: How long is a typical flying lesson?

A: A typical flying lesson takes approximately two hours and is broken down as follows:

  • 30 minutes on the ground in a briefing room going over the flight (preparatory ground)
  • 15 minutes for the aircraft preflight inspection
  • 60 minutes for the training flight
  • 15 minutes for the post-flight briefing where your flight instructor will discuss the details of your training flight. Your instructor will discuss what went well during your training flight, items you can improve on and specific suggestions for improvement to help you improve

Q: How long will it take to finish my training?

A: You can fly once a month, once a week or several times per day. The more often you fly, the more you will remember and the sooner your training course will be complete (and the less money it will cost you in the long run). We have estimated completion times for each training course offered (please visit the Programs or FAQ section for more information)

Q: How can I accomplish the ground school training if the class schedule doesn't fit my schedule?

A: Ground school can be done in a group setting, one on one with a flight instructor, or online as a distance learning course. The best method for ground school depends on the schedule you can maintain, the start day, and how you learn best.

Once registered for our ground school classes, you can make up any classes missed on the next ground school - please contact us for more information.

Q: Is my international aviation medical good in Canada?

A: It depends on what you want to do in Canada. If you only want to fly recreationally, then your international medical is acceptable. If you want a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) in Canada you will be required to obtain a Canadian aviation medical.

Q: I just completed a medical for my visa or class one drivers licence. Is this medical okay for my aviation medical?

A: While it may be a similar test, a Canadian aviation medical must be completed by a Transport Canada-approved Civil Aviation Examiner (CAME).

Q: Is there an age that is too old to fly?

A: No, there is no maximum age to learn to fly, the only requirement is to pass the aviation medical. The oldest student we have trained was 79 years young!

Q: Is there an age that is too young to fly?

A: No, there is no minimum age to learn to fly. The Student Pilot Permit (SPP) can be issued at age 14 which permits the holder to fly solo under instructor supervision. You can get your Recreational Permit (RPP) at 16 years of age, your Private Pilot Licence (PPL) at 17 and your Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) at 18 years of age. You can start to learn to fly before the age of 14, however you may not solo until your 14th birthday. We have had several students fly solo on their 14th birthday!

Q: Is it difficult to learn to fly?

A: Anything in life that is valuable takes some effort. Flying the airplane is similar to driving a standard shift car in terms of hand/eye coordination. The ground school material is written at a grade 9 high school level. There is nothing in the ground school that is rocket science… what surprises people is how much has to be learned and then incorporated into practical flying use.

Q: I completed some flight training several years ago - can I apply this flight time toward my PPL training?

A: Yes, as long as those flight hours have been certified in your pilot logbook and/or pilot training record. Your instructor will help you pick up where you left off and will get you up to the required flight test standard.

Q: Is flying safe?

A: Yes, a well-built and well-maintained aircraft flown by a competent and prudent pilot is as safe or safer than many other forms of transportation - statistics don't lie!

Q: Is my flight training tax deductible?

A: Portions of the Private Pilot Licence (PPL), Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) and other additional ratings can be claimed if you intend on pursuing a career in aviation and you are a Canadian citizen. We encourage you to contact your local accounting professional to seek advice in this area.

Q: Is financing available for my flight training?

A: We do not currently offer financing, but we can assist with documentation for your bank or financial institution showing that you are registered in a flight training program at DFC London.