The Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) dictate that, in addition to having a valid licence or permit and a valid medical certificate, there are some things that pilots need to do every five years, every two years and every six months if they wish to exercise the privileges of their licences or permits.

Every Five (5) Years
Pilots must fly as pilot-in-command or co-pilot at least once in a category of aircraft for which they are licensed. Pilots who do not meet this requirement must successfully complete a flight review with an instructor and pass the Student Pilot Permit Air Regulations (PSTAR) examination.

Every Two (2) Years
Pilots must complete a recurrent training activity. In order to satisfy this requirement, pilots can choose one of the following activities:

  • Complete a flight review with an instructor
  • Attend a Transport Canada safety seminar
  • Participate in a Transport Canada approved recurrent training program
  • Complete the self-paced study program available each year in the Aviation Safety Letter
  • Complete a training program or pilot proficiency check (PPC) required by the CARs
  • Complete the requirements for the issue or renewal of a licence, permit or rating; or
  • Complete the written exam for a licence, permit or rating

Every Six (6) Months
Pilots who wish to carry one or more passengers must complete at least five takeoffs and five landings in the category and class of aircraft in which the passenger is carried. “Category” refers to whether the aircraft is a glider, airplane, helicopter, balloon, gyroplane, etc.; “class” refers to whether the aircraft is meant for land or sea, whether it is single-engine or multi-engine, etc.  Pilots wishing to carry passengers at night must complete five takeoffs and five landings at night every six months.

Notice to Pilots:  
Beyond meeting the recency and currency requirements, pilots must ensure that their Aviation Document Booklet has not expired. The booklet’s expiry date is indicated on the identification page. Pilots who don’t yet have an Aviation Document Booklet should consider applying for one by contacting their regional Flight Crew Licensing office.